3-4 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
3 Apple Chicken Sausages, or kick it up with a chorizo sausage, sliced into half moons
8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, sliced into 1 inch cubes
2 medium sized sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into ½ inch cubes
1 medium onion, sliced into half moons
1 ¾ cup apple juice
2 cups chicken broth
3 tsp spice mix - recipe follows
¼ tsp ginger
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp pepper
¼ tsp cumin
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp cardamom
½ tsp salt
1. Mix flour and some salt and pepper in a big Ziploc bag and add chicken. Now shake it, making sure all the chicken is covered in flour. Working in batches and shaking off excess before adding to pan.
2. In a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add half the chicken; brown on all sides. Remove and keep warm on a plate. Repeat with 1 tablespoon oil (using more if necessary) and the rest of the chicken. Remove to plate and cover with foil.
3. Add remaining tablespoon of oil or more if needed ,to pan along with onion and cook 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Add the sweet potatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes and then add the spice blend and stir to combine.
4) Add apple juice to deglaze the pan. The slowly stir in broth and continuing stirring to combine. Now it's time for NJS Boozy Apple and Brown Sugar bbq sauce add all 3 tbsp. Go ahead take a deep breath, smells great doesn't it!!
4. Return chicken to pan; and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and cook 20 to 25 minutes until potatoes and chicken are tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Makes 6 dinner sized servings